Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Rules... a rough start

So here's how I think this can go...

Everybody makes FIVE goals. The idea is to make them attainable in four weeks. I'm counting the month of May as those four weeks (give or take a few days). Starting May 1, everybody commits to making their goal happen, and sticks to it 100% for the month.

As an example, here are my goals... As stated above, some of them obviously going to be fitness related, and some are not.
1. Fitness Goal 1 - Run at least 20 minutes, five times a week. 
2. Fitness Goal 2 - Do 100 reps of SOME physical exercise five times a week (could include push-ups, sit-ups, squats, weights, etc).

Those of you who run, or work out, know that I'm not setting the bar terribly high as far as intensity goes, but my main objective is to get used to the consistency, and make it part of my routine.
3. Lazy Person Goal - At least once a week, attack a necessary housekeeping project (emptying garbage and recycling, tidy up crawl space storage, get rid of junk from basement, hide wires in living room, clean bathroom, etc.)
Basically, I'm committing to cleaning up the house, instead of sitting around watching TV shows I've already seen.  It's far to easy to put this stuff off... time to fix that.
4. Man of Mystery Goal - Learn Italian (or, at least get through the book and CD set that I have.) 
 I bought it years ago, and haven't taken it off the shelf. In the interests of self-betterment, this will potentially give me a new skill, and also make use of something I bought, but never used.
5. Get Rich Goal - Read a book about Financial Planning
My parents gave me a book called The Wealthy Barber that is apparently a good read about saving, investing, etc. Hopefully by getting through that I can take away some hints to apply to my financial future.

So now it's your turn... here are the rules.

  1. Make your five goals. Make sure they are specific, measurable, etc. (There are a million websites devoted to effective goal-setting. Google if necessary). Basically, make sure that you can definitively say YES or NO to the question "Did I actually accomplish this?"
  2. If necessary, break your goal into smaller steps. List them, if necessary.
  3. Use this page (or maybe we'll make a Facebook group) to brag about it, talk about your experiences, challenges, motivation, etc. At the end of the month, talk about what worked, what didn't work, and how to do it better, and set new goals for the future.
  4. If you want to tweet, instragram, etc. about it use the hashtag #4w5g
  5. Be awesome, and stick to it for four weeks. 
How simple is that?

Motivational quote of the day:

  If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go as a group. - African Proverb


No comments:

Post a Comment